ODBC drivers

Scott Lystig Fritchie scott@REDACTED
Tue Dec 5 22:46:21 CET 2000

>>>>> "dn" == Daniel Neri <dne@REDACTED> writes:

dn> I've never tried it myself, but I suppose you could check out
dn> MyODBC:

I've used the unixODBC driver manager with MySQL (open source),
PostgreSQL (open source), and Clustra (commercial).  I've found a
couple of bugs, but the folks maintaining it have been very
responsive.  Overall, it's very usable.  It contains all the headers
required to compile ODBC applications on UNIX platforms.  The
Intersolv driver manager, at least the one bundled with recent
versions of Solaris, requires that you obtain the necessary header
files from the Microsoft SDK.

If you're working with Solaris/SPARC machines, you may already have
the Intersolv driver manager installed in /opt/ISLIodbc.  Or it is
sitting on the OS media shipped with the box.

The unixODBC source distribution comes with ODBC drivers for MiniSQL,
MySQL, and PostgreSQL.  This makes compilation & installation easier
if you're using one of those databases.

It's possible, in theory, to have an application use an ODBC driver
library directly, without an intermediate ODBC driver manager such as
unixODBC or Intersolv or other commercial products.  I haven't figured
out such magic, since both unixODBC and Intersolv's have been working
well.

The ODBC library distributed with Erlang/OTP is a, well, brute-force
implementation.  All of the peculiarities of the C API are also
exposed to the Erlang developer.  IMO, it's icky: the "impedence
mismatch" that is so miniscule with Mnesia is instead *so* big with
the current ODBC library.  I'd like to reimplement it to make the
library more Erlang-friendly, but my boss squashed that idea until
I've finished other things first.  Oh well.

-Scott