erlang:now() in erlang 4.9.1 on Linux

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Wed Apr 19 11:43:35 CEST 2000

I don't know if this answers your questions, but it may provide some
background to erlang:now() issues.

At AXD 301, we've had some problems with the internal time
representation, as we've run some pretty abusive tests on the network
time synchronization mechanisms. We voiced the requirement that the
real-time clock must operate reliably regardless of the system time.

The specific problem is when you do stuff like "rdate" on a running
system, or someone manually alters the system clock. In previous
versions of Erlang/OTP, this was disastrous for the system, since
timeouts, and erlang:now(), were based on the system clock.
For example, if the system time was set back a couple of hours,
timeout activity in Erlang would basically stop until the system
clock "caught up" with the Erlang clock. This would throw our system
into some kind of undefined state.

In our current, patched version of OTP R5B01, we have a VM modified to
decouple the internal Erlang clock from the system clock, and then
checkpoint the two every once in a while. Should the clocks drift
apart, the internal Erlang clock will adjust itself (=< +-1%) to
slowly synchronize with the system clock.

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger, Chief Designer AXD 301         <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
Ericsson Telecom AB                          tfn: +46  8 719 81 95