Subject: Erlang adventures; Erlang image and "success"

James Hague jhague@REDACTED
Mon Apr 10 03:14:03 CEST 2000

>People need symbols and images to venerate, keywords
>for their resumes and
>bumper-stickers and coffee mugs.

Hmmm...I'd get a coffee mug, were one available.  Ericsson was pretty
coffee-mug happy when I worked there.  I had two training mugs, a couple
of AXE mugs, one mug for a project that went by the name of "P5," and one
for an experimental TCP/IP adjunct to AXE called "Gator."  Surely there
are already a zillion Erlang mugs out there? :)

>Wouldn't now be a good time to hype Erlang beyond
>recognition?

Does hyping a computer language really work?  Okay, it worked for Java
but did it ever work prior to that?  If you hang out in forums for
underdog languages--Smalltalk, Forth, Lisp, Scheme, Eiffel, Modula 3,
Oberon, Haskell, OCaml--there are frequent cries of "Why don't more
people realize our language is so cool?"  Seems like the best thing for
Erlang is to just write great applications with it.

James