David Gould <>
Thu Sep 30 01:57:29 CEST 1999

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:53:13PM +0200, Klacke wrote:
> I've been hacking madly on the dets server lately.
> Basically I've been having two problems with it
> that are dependant on each other.
> 1. It takes a very long time to create a dets file with say
>    1. million entries in it.
> 2. If such a file is not properly closed, it takes ages
>    to repair it.
> My first attempt was to hack the dets server and pull some
> of the hash-ndex structures that are now on disc up into RAM.
> This helped speed with about 30% but increased memory
> consumption substantially. Not ok.
> My second attempt was to scrap dets alltogether and use
> gdbm instead. So I wrote a linked in driver to gdbm.
> It turns out that gdbm is about equally fast as dets on
> lookups, and about 4 times faster on the first 10.000 items
> on insertions.
> However on the last 10.000 objects (Inserting 1 million itemes)
> gdbm is >100 times slower. It starts to degenerate
> around 100.000 items. So, this is good news, dets was
> better than I thought. Much better.

Cool. One other thing to look at is Berkeley DB instead of gdbm. See for more info and downloads.

David Gould                       510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                       300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
You will cooperate with Microsoft, for the good of Microsoft
and for your own survival.                 -- Navindra Umanee