Building Erlang and rc?

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Tue Sep 28 12:30:49 CEST 1999

>Hmmmm .... I just talked to some of the other bluetail guys here
>who built erlang 47.4.1 on solaris 2.7 a couple of months ago
>and they said something about adding /usr/ccs/bin to the path.
>(We don't have solaris 2.7 here any longer so I can't try it out)

Oh yes, you need to have /usr/ccs/bin in your $PATH to build pretty much
anything on Solaris - regardless of version. That's where not just 'ar',
but also 'as', 'ld', and various of other developer stuff traditionally
lives on Solaris.

>----   diversion ----
>By the way, what about the version numbering on Solaris ...
>gets me pretty confused, solaris 7.0, 5.7 and 2.7 are all the
>same or what ???
>----------------------

---- more diversion:-) ------
Actually none of those are (politically:-) correct Solaris version
numbers, the proper one is '7', which includes *SunOS* 5.7, CDE x.y, and
some other stuff.  According to the tradition (Solaris 2.x includes
SunOS 5.x) it ought to have been Solaris 2.7, but they made a last-
minute decision to change it (and missed a couple of places, such as the
CD:-) - I guess someone decided that it was a more "impressive" number
or something. Next version will be Solaris 8, with SunOS 5.8 (currently
in late beta)... But who are we to talk, going from 4.7.3 to 47.4.0.:-)

--Per Hedeland
per@REDACTED