Garbage collection

David Gould <>
Thu Sep 2 19:58:23 CEST 1999

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 07:20:41AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> > David Gould writes:
> >> I might be interested in working on this. I am curious to know what has
> >> prevented this in the past,
> > It's a bit hard, to make the gc non blocking ggc.c needs to rewritten
> > into a reentrant collector. This is a bit hard and it also makes
> > the collector a bit slower unless some real clever tricks are
> > applied.
> I found a bunch of good papers on garbage collection (realtime as
> well) on <>.  One of the papers

This is Paul Wilsons group at U Texas, a great resource for memory management
information. I have read a number of their papers but not specifically the
realtime GC one. But I will.

> discusses a real-time garbage collector that only needs to coordinate
> with the "mutators" when the mutate memory.  We have a nice advantage
> here that there isn't much mutation going on outside of making new
> objects.
> Their collector is single threaded, and single heaped.  Moving to this
> model might help with efficiency, since we could avoid the copy when
> sending local messages.  The collector just needs to be run
> periodically (easy with an interpreter) and only needs to be informed
> about mutations.  It also eliminates issues with allocation in a
> process whose GC would be running.

> I'll look around and figure out which article it actually is that
> talks about it.

David Gould                       510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                       300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
You will cooperate with Microsoft, for the good of Microsoft
and for your own survival.                 -- Navindra Umanee