Garbage collection

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Thu Sep 2 19:09:48 CEST 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, David Brown wrote:

ug-erl>I guess some good questions to ask would be, for typical Erlang
ug-erl>programs (whatever typical):
ug-erl>
ug-erl>- Is it frequent that processes are created and destroyed, while
ug-erl>  making a bunch of data while alive.

Yes. One example is httpd, which spawns one process per connection.

ug-erl>- Are there many longer lived processes that serve up data.

Yes. Examples: the code server, the I/O server (user),
application_controller, ...

Both patterns are very important and must be handled efficiently by the
garbage collector.

/Uffe

Ulf Wiger, Chief Designer AXD 301      <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
Ericsson Telecom AB                          tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Varuvägen 9, Älvsjö                          mob: +46 70 519 81 95
S-126 25 Stockholm, Sweden                   fax: +46  8 719 43 44