String indices in SNMP

Martin Bjorklund mbj@REDACTED
Thu Nov 11 11:29:24 CET 1999

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi <Chandru.Mullaparthi@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Does the snmp agent in OTP support string indices??
>   The agent I'm running, (OTP R6B) crashes when my instrumentation
>   function returns a string index for a get-next operation.
>   Anyone seen this? I've seen the code and it looks like
>   string indices are not supported. Can someone confirm this?

The OTP snmp agent does support string indicies.  The get-next
instrumentation function is supposed to return the next lexicographic
OID; which in erlang is represented as a list of integers.  A string
in an SNMP index is just a list of integers too, so if the string
index is "hello", (using IMPLIED) the corresponding OID is
104.101.108.108.11, and the return value from the erlang
instrumentation function would be {"hello", ...}

/martin

--
Martin Bjorklund
Bluetail AB,                           tel:  +46 8 692 22 10