Visibility of Erlang

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Fri Jul 2 23:07:21 CEST 1999

jhague@REDACTED wrote:

> Actually, I sent something to slashdot about Erlang when it was released
> in February, but they didn't mention it.  To them, I suppose, they didn't
> see widespread interest in mentioning an oddball functional language used
> in embedded telephone switches released by a large Swedish corporation :)

It's been mentioned there a couple of times, but it's clear that
the hype surrounding java is a completely different ballgame.
I just read a book call "Open sources" with essays from
a bunch of the open source key people like Eric Raymond etc, and
there the release of Erlang is mentioned a number of times
as a sign o' the times, where large corps like Ericsson
realize that open source software is the way of the future.

All of you in this list should be aware of the radical difference
we in the initial erlang community feel now that Erlang is
open source compared to earlier when it was truly proprietary.

We *know* that erlang is much superior to many (most ((all ??!!))
of the other programming tech's available out there, and we've
known it for quite some time. Thus at least I hope that it'll
spread (possibly not like wildfire), just on technical merit
if we just give it some time.

Ericsson has no previous experience in this kind of endavour.
Furthermore, ericsson has a long tradition of never bragging
about what sort of tech is inside the equipment that ericsson
sells. As a matter of fact not even talking about it, did you
ever see an ericsson add talking about "XYZ inside " or something
like that. I did not. So we shouldn't expect Ericsson to start
talking/bragging about their superior software technology in
order to promote the real products. I personally thing that
ericsson should do just that, but don't expect to see it happen.
As it is now, Erlang will have to survive in the open source
community soley on it's own merits.

The new company (bluetail) where I and a bunch of other
old erlangers are working will (as opposed to Ericsson) brag about
the cool tech we're using to build our stuff. http://www.bluetail.com
Without Erlang at least I can't imagine that the sort of stuff we build
would be realistic.

Cheers

/klacke

 -=- MIME -=-
This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--XAA12871.930776731/mail.pi.se

The original message was received at Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:05:24 +0200 (MET DST)
from ap04-237.mp.pi.se [195.7.87.237]

<erlang-questions@REDACTED>

550 <erlang-questions@REDACTED>... Host unknown (Name server: hades.cslab.ericsson.net.: host not found)

--XAA12871.930776731/mail.pi.se

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.pi.se
Received-From-MTA: DNS; ap04-237.mp.pi.se
Arrival-Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:05:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; erlang-questions@REDACTED
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; hades.cslab.ericsson.net
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:05:29 +0200 (MET DST)