Just another Mnesia question.

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Apr 26 22:39:09 CEST 1999

This is also known as "non-first normal form".
The normal forms are a set of design standards for relational databases.
They are formulated in a way as to ensure the integrity of the database.

Taken from the "SQL Practical Handbook, Second Edition":

"At each row-and-column intersection, there must be one and only one
value"

This is one of the things that make RDBMSes a bit clumsy for
applications like CAD, where you want to be able to store the vertices
of a polygon in one data object, and not as a relation between two
tables.

Another example could be storing phone numbers as a list in one person
object, instead of having a phone_numbers table with objects like
{{person_name, number_type}, number}.

#person{name = "Uffe",
        tfn = [{wk, "+4687198195"},{mob, "+4685198195"}]}

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger, Chief Designer AXD 301     <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
Ericsson Telecom AB                          tfn: +46  8 719 81 95