erl; Linux; and tty reset

Sebastian Strollo seb@REDACTED
Wed Apr 21 15:56:56 CEST 1999

knotwell@REDACTED writes:
> This seems to work okay except for one minor annoyance--every time erl
> "halts", the pseudo-terminal get "hosed up" and I need to do a reset or
> stty sane to fix it.

Yes

This my fault and I should be shot for messing it up. In my work to
make the system portable I cleaned up all calls to atexit() in the
emulator (well there was only one, and it was the one which cleans up
the terminal settings). I thought that I had replaced it with a call
to another "atexit type" function, but it turns out that it is never
called before exit.

I will fix it, add it to the FAQ and it will be in the next release...

-- Sebastian

PS.
If you use tcsh, which I do, you don't notice this since tcsh is
forgiving (smart?) enough to reset your terminal to a nice state...
(Which is my excuse for letting this whole thing slip through our
testing.)