Erlang Scripts/Binaries.

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 16:04:39 CET 1998

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been wondering how one can make Erlang scripts/binaries?
> Something that can be then run as
> ./someprog

Not yet - we have done some work in this direction if you look in

	http://www.erlang.org/examples/examples-2.0.html

And read the section called "sos" (simple Operating System) you'll see how this
can "almost" be done.

> Another question: Erlang seems to compile to P-code, right? Are there any
> native compilers? Or something like python freeze, that allows to pack up
> the whole system in one (admittingly huge) binary and sent it someone?

    Again we can almost do this - it  can be done for windows95/NT but
not yet for unix.   The idea is to build  a single shared  library and
then a small stub  loader that launches the  application. Erlang as  a
shared library is  < 500 KB  and the stub  loader about 30KB. A single
stand-alone  application like "cat" in  Erlang works out at about 35KB
for cat.exe and requires you to have a 500 KB dll installed.

    This is on our *todo* lists - but we havn't got time to work on it
at the moment.

    If there are any volunteers I can send them the code we've got and
and the design and they can start hacking!

	/Joe