EEP 56 Update

Maria Scott maria-12648430@REDACTED
Tue Mar 9 11:48:52 CET 2021

Hello,

EEP 56 has been updated/improved, according to feedback received so far.
http://erlang.org/eeps/eep-0056.html

Changes:
* Improved grammar (childs --> children, except in one place that I forgot)
* Renamed the "shutdown" supervisor flag to "auto_shutdown" and the value "normal" to "never"
* Clarified the purpose of the "auto_shutdown => never" setting
* Added a paragraph about significant children in connection with simple_one_for_one supervisors

More feedback welcome :)

A specific point on which I would like more feedback is how a combination of "auto_shutdown => never" and child specs with "significant => true" (be it in the return from init/1 or given to start_child/2) settings.
In actual meaning, the two options don't contradict each other, ie you may mark a child as significant, the supervisor just doesn't care in respect to auto-shutdown.
It may be that this is rarely what is wanted in practice, but it also has no indisputable negative effects.
So we think it should be accepted (ie, a "auto_shutdown => never" supervisor should not refuse to start a child marked as significant), but it might be good to log a warning in such a case. What do you think?

A similar question concerns the combination of "restart => permanent" and "significant => true" in a child spec. A permanent child will always be restarted, it doesn't matter if it is marked as significant or not.
Similar to what was said above, in meaning the two options don't contradict each other, but in practice you might care.

Kind regards,
Maria Scott