EEP proposal - Automatic supervisor shutdown triggered by termination of significant childs

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Fri Mar 5 22:57:34 CET 2021

On 3/5/21 6:07 AM, Maria Scott wrote:
>>   I am not sure about a name instead of "normal" for the option. Alternative name ideas for the option are "default", "none", "static", "external".
> Thanks for the suggestions, but I think they somewhat miss the point in one way or another ^^;
>
> As I was already saying in my reply to José Valim, I think it might be better to rename the sup flag to something like "auto_shutdown", and rename "normal" to "never". This way, it would be clearer as to what the option refers (_automated_ shutdown, as opposed to shutdown of any sort), and "never" would be clearer in that it declares to _never_ do an _automated_ (self-) shutdown.

The "auto_shutdown" = "never" approach is a good way to make it clear
that the supervisor is part of a static hierarchy and would only stop
due to MaxR or manual manipulation (e.g., a supervisor:stop function if
it was added).

Thanks,
Michael