EEP proposal - Delayed restarts of supervisor children

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Jun 17 09:30:54 CEST 2021

If 'undefined' and 0 are equivalent, let's just drop 'undefined' and
make 0 the default. No need to complicate things further.

Since it is already possible (though rare) to start or restart a child
that is currently restarting and has failed to restart at least once, I
suppose the same behavior should apply when there are delays. At least
if the current behavior is well tested, is it? If not then we can just
pick the most sensible solution.

The copyright line must be updated, see the updated template.

On 16/06/2021 17:29, Maria Scott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the request for configurable delays in restarting crashed supervisor children has occurred time and again on the erlang questions mailing list and elsewhere, but was never adressed, except in an old attempt that went unmerged and forgotten.
>
> We suspect that this did, over time, lead to a number of customized clones of the standard OTP supervisor.
>
> In order to address the obvious need and discourage further cloning, we put together the attached draft EEP, outlining the requirements and expected characteristics of delayed-restart children in supervisors.
>
> Kind regards,
> Maria Scott
> Jan Uhlig

Loïc Hoguin