[eeps] EEP 049: Value-Based Error Handling Mechanisms

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Fri Dec 7 15:27:41 CET 2018

From that very email written by Joe himself:

> In the absence of return(X) you can write throw(X) but this can make your programs more difficult to understand if abused.

This EEP was written because the need for an early-return mechanism is *pervasive* among all codebases. Even I, who never used Erlang, has been frustrated by inappropriate amounts of nested case statements.

So the alternative you suggest to Fred's proposal is a bit of a Catch-22: "use non-local returns for nested cases which happen all the time, but don't use them all the time because it makes your programs more difficult to understand".