[eeps] New - EEP 44: Additional preprocessor directives

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Wed Oct 14 14:20:43 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thank you Björn for your answers.
>
> I think that my worries are mostly related to the following:
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Björn Gustavsson <bjorn@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> > this is not an issue that this EEP is intended to solve
>

> Regardless of that the EEP is meant to solve, if developers get
> tools there will be some of them that will use them in ways not
> intended.
>
> Also, even if I don't put any of the new stuff in my code, I don't
> know what the authors of my dependencies do. If the dependency is to
> a source package that I build locally, the issue remains that my
> local environment must match exactly the target.

When using binary packages, we will possibly need multiple builds and
a way to automatically select the right one, but that would only work
for well-known differentiators (-otp18.1, -otp18.2), not some very
project-specific (-otp18.1-with-featureX) compile time check. It's
also important to ensure that all build variations are exercised
properly in the tests, in order to avoid code rot.