[eeps] New - EEP 44: Additional preprocessor directives

Kenji Rikitake kenji@REDACTED
Wed Oct 14 04:26:32 CEST 2015

I won't repeat what other people have already written.
Just some thoughts on ?OTP_RELEASE numbering.

Limiting the ?OTP_RELEASE value to 19 or 20,
or to whatever the "major version numbers" are,
looks not good to me; there will be a lot of
variants which may require compilation
assistance even within a major version.
(Remind what we've got differently within R16
or even in 17.x or will get in coming 18.2 or later.)

Representing a change in a single integer
may also pose a risk of overloading a lot of
semantics into the number.
I suggest you to check out a counter example in
C macro __FreeBSD_version for FreeBSD; for example,
it was actually a date abbreviation until December 1996
but suddenly changed into major/minor version
numbers and some monotonically increasing part of
number which is overloaded with a bunch of
different semantics.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/versions.html

Kenji Rikitake

++> Raimo Niskanen <raimo+eeps@REDACTED> [2015-10-13 09:49:46 +0200]: