[eeps] New EEP: setrlimit(2) analogue for Erlang

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Fri Feb 8 03:01:31 CET 2013

An idea which seems like it should be included in this EEP, is simply a function to determine how much real memory is consumed by an erlang variable.  I understand we have erlang:external_size which provides the size based on the external term format.  I also understand that the memory pools make erlang consume more than the size that would be returned.  There is some documentation on memory consumption of erlang data here: http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/advanced.html#id68921 .  I attempted to use an older version of this documentation to write my own function, but ran into problems (created output that seemed incorrect) and taking into account HiPE data is a separate part that would generate different results.

So, these erlang limits are great additions, but it seems like we would need a function for understanding where the limits are broken, for debugging and development (and possibly dynamic runtime changes).  It would be interesting if the function was allowed in guard tests, which might help for embedded development.

Thanks,
Michael