[eeps] EEP XXX: Pattern-test operator

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Mon Apr 23 01:21:37 CEST 2012

Just a few more comments. I will admit that I have fallen behind in
this discussion though I am definitely interested in it. So in no
specific order:

- Joe is now considering his structs again and has plans of using a
syntax like records but without the name. For example F =
#{a=1,b="foo"} and perhaps F.a. This hasn't been finalised but in this
form it would free ~ for use. If it is a good choice I don't know yet.
So even if we don't get them soon we may at least get a syntax. :-)

- If we allowed variable binding in the guard with say Pat = Expr, how
far would this get us?

- Just doing this would make for very few changes in Core as all the
work is done in going from Core to Kernel erlang. We could keep
#c_case{}. You would probably not have to change Kernel either, nor
the beam as it should be enough with what is there.

- It would be interesting as it could the left-to-right nature of
pattern matching as it is done today. Be more selective in the order
you do matching.

Robert

P.S. Something completely different: the non-determinism in CSP is in
the concurrency isn't? I am in the middle of a "discussion" about
having a deterministic and defined semantics as opposed to having
things undefined and implementation specific. I do have the book
somewhere.