[eeps] EEP XXX: Pattern-test operator

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Wed Apr 18 14:54:51 CEST 2012

So - Richard, should we continue with this as a change to EEP 14 or as a
modified EEP XX?

On the implementation side, I've studied the present pattern match
compilation algorithm (the paper and the implementation) and am pondering
how best to include guards in the decision tree construction. (Handling
certain parts of guards there would be a nice improvement in general,
besides preparing the algorithm for handling of "?=".)
It looks like something can be done in a way that fits well into the
existing algorithm.
I'm thinking that recognizing and handling guard-top-level occurences of
"=:=", "== <non-numeric constant>" and is_type() would be sufficient. (And
possibly "<known-to-be-int> == <known-to-be-int>", as in "tuple_size(A) ==
tuple_size(B)".) Don't know about "not".
Handling 'orelse' might be tricky, though; the current approach for ';'
appears to be to simply duplicate the clause and let a downstream optimizer
recognize the duplication, so I suppose that will work for 'orelse' as well.
(Looking at generated code, I notice that 'orelse' and 'andalso' in guards
gives rise (in R14B03) to some surprising - and suboptimal - code.)

Decision tree construction is done when translating Core Erlang into Kernel
Erlang; I think having "?=" in Core Erlang is the simplest approach.  I
don't know which other tools would have to be adapted to such an extension
of Core Erlang; but I don't see how guard->body bindings can be introduced
to Erlang in an efficient manner without guard->body bindings being
introduced to Core Erlang...
(Taking a step back, with "?=", 'if' could replace 'case' as the general
internal construct. That, however, would probably be too radical.)