[eeps] New EEP draft: -discontiguous declaration

Raimo Niskanen raimo+eeps@REDACTED
Mon May 30 11:49:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 01:55:11PM +1200, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> On 28/05/2011, at 2:00 AM, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, we have changed EEP format into Markdown.
> > See EEP 33: http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0033.html
> >
> > I am not sure if this has been communicated properly,
>
> I wasn't aware of this at all, and am rather upset about
> it.  Why should I have to learn a new markup language?
> What the X is Markdown, anyway?

It is a markup language in roughly the same spirit as the
previous (Python's reStructuredText) of what you see is what
you get. This one is more like plaintext mail.

We wanted to get rid of the cumbersome Python toolchain
with its tweaked docutils of specific version. Now all that
is required is a non-ancient Perl.

Also, the unprocessed Markdown EEPs are practically readable
in their Github repository since Github does on-the-fly
converting of Markdown when browsing. The EEPs are now
version controlled in Git on Github:
  https://github.com/erlang/eep
  https://github.com/erlang/eep/blob/master/eeps/eep-0033.md
We also wanted to migrate from Subversion to Git for the EEPs
when we went to Git for Erlang/OTP. Markdown was a better fit
also because of the on-the fly conversion.

When we did this migration we changed the description of the
process, updated EEP 1, introduced EEP 33. But I am not certain
if a mail to the eep@ mailing list was sent. I am sorry about that.
  http://www.erlang.org/eep.html
  http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0001.html
  http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0033.html

> (I can use (La)TeX, (X)HTML, Lout, or troff, but surely
> enough is enough?)

I will convert your two EEPs, and you can see what they look
like afterwards. It is mainly references that look much different.
It is a very low learning threshold.

Best regards