[eeps] New EEP draft: -discontiguous declaration

Raimo Niskanen raimo+eeps@REDACTED
Wed Jun 1 17:26:02 CEST 2011

This is getting too lengthly. I'll be brief and top-post.

Our requirements:
* The EEPs 'sources' should be plaintextish
* They should be convertable to nice looking HTML
  without having to install a complex tool chain.
* The markup language should preferably be something that
  is commonly used.
* We do not regard writing XHTML in a text editor as feasible
  and regard having to use a XHTML editor as too odd.

Markdown delivers this. If you check out the EEP repository
and have Perl you have the toolchain. A browser is needed
to view the result, and a code / plaintext editor of course.

Oh, and the generated HTML supports horizontal resizing.
It is both sites www.erlang.org and www.github.com that
does strange things. I'll have to take a look at the former.

What is missing:
* A complete syntax and documentation. Markdown lacks here.
* Formal verification tools. I did not know that was missing.
  I write, process, check the result. More tools than that
  I have never needed for these small text documents. Even
  if there was a formal verification tool I'd have to view
  the result.

If someone would write a Markdown dialect syntax definition,
and an accompaning maybe Erlang tool for conversion to XHTML,
that would be an option. Preferably narrowing down what
Markdown allows to make the new dialect good looking when
assumed to be original Markdown.

When you say we allowed plaintext before, that was not
entirely true. That plaintext was processed by docutils
to produce links to other EEPs, I think to find other
http://.../ links and reference list, etc. So if that
plaintext was not properly written I had to fix it.

If you submit EEPs in plaintext now, do in the "mail style"
(Markdown), and add the mail like headers at the top.
Then I will not have to reindent the whole document to
make it Markdown.

Or, check out the EEP repository; or from Github you can
download it as a .tar.gz file.
Edit eeps/eep-9999.md, ./build.pl, Browse eeps/eep-9999.html

Best regards
/ Raimo Niskanen