[eeps] New EEP draft: -discontiguous declaration

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jun 1 08:49:28 CEST 2011

On 1 Jun 2011, at 02:48, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> I see that I shall have to write a 'downmarkit' tool…

FWIW, I did - or at least something along those lines - in http://github.com/esl/edown

I can testify to the ad-hockery of Markdown, not just the specification being inadequate, but the actual parser imposing various limitations of its own (not least when parsing embedded HTML markup). Writing edown was a *lot* messier than I had hoped, but probably every bit as messy as Richard envisions. :)

Given that different Markdown parsers act differently, I find that using http://gist.github.com is the best way to check whether your particular document will render well on *Github*.

This is not to say that I mean to weigh in on the decision to use Markdown for EEPs. I've not written a single EEP yet, so obviously, I've not been affected by the decision (I have no trouble *reading* Markdown, either before or after processing).

In Edown, the conversion from edoc-generated XML to Markdown takes place mostly in edown_xmerl.erl, which is a callback for xmerl:export/2 and friends. There is also some modification of the generated XML, since the 'downmarker' needs more help in order to do a reasonable job.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
http://erlang-solutions.com