[eeps] JSON

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Jul 1 00:08:08 CEST 2011

On 30 June 2011 23:51, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 11:39 PM, Robert Virding wrote:
>> At the Erlang Factory in London after the EEPs run-through we had a
>> small very informal discussion. As a result of that and after a
>> discussion on erlang-questions I think it is very important that we
>> decide something about eep-18 and JSON. I think we should propose a
>> standard representation and write an OTP module which implements
>> encoding/decoding this. The first version doesn't have to be that
>> fast, mochijson2 which is being used apparently isn't fast, and it can
>> be improved later both with better erlang and NIFs. The important
>> thing is that it is *there* and that it is a good representation,
>> otherwise we might end up with something bad just because that is all
>> there is.
>
> jsx is already very good. It implements the EEP and is faster and more
> convenient to use than mochijson2 IMHO.
>
> See https://github.com/talentdeficit/jsx

I think the main problem is to get an "official" representation. If
jsx is good and follows the EEP then it could definitely be used as a
base for an OTP json module. Of course the first discussion is whether
we want the EEP. :-) And whether we can suggest something which is not
like mochijson2.

Robert