[eeps] EEP for scoped group leaders

Raimo Niskanen raimo+eeps@REDACTED
Mon Aug 8 17:33:24 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:47:41AM -0700, Yurii Rashkovskii wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to submit an EEP for scoped group leaders, a backward
> compatible extension for group leader functionality. You can find its
> up-to-date version at
> https://raw.github.com/spawngrid/eep/scoped-group-leaders/eeps/eep-scoped-group-leaders.md
> or attached to this message.
>
> It has received some positive feedback on the mailing list
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/erlang-programming/k245yCcWrMc/discussion
> and it was discussed with the other community members on IRC fairly
> exhaustively and was positively reviewed there as well.
>
> Please let me know if there's anything else needed to get this EEP processed.
>
> Thanks,
> Yurii.

Your EEP draft is now committed as:
  EEP 39: Scoped Group Leaders

  http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0039.html
  http://github.com/erlang/eep/blob/master/eeps/eep-0039.md

Thank you for your contribution to the Erlang Enhancement Process.

A texual comment on the last sentence in this paragraph:

    Every process is given a "dictionary" of group leaders, with one
    `io` group leader defined by default, representing the only group
    leader that exists currently in Erlang. Every process created is
    given a copy of the dictionary exactly as before.

I think it is a bit fuzzy what "copy of the dictionary exactly as
before" means. My guess is that every process created starts with
a dictionary that is copied from its spawning parent exactly
as the group leader is inherited today.