[eeps] : Proposal for /\ and \/ operators

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Feb 27 03:54:18 CET 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 5:14 am, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
> No, I think we don't.  I don't understand what's the problem that
> this eeps
> wants to solve.

It's explained in the EEP that the maximum and minimum
operations are *already* widely used in Erlang.

> Why does it not suffice to make the implementation of lists:min/1 and
> lists:max/1 more efficient as Richard C suggested?

Well, why not ask the people who already wrote so many of their
own implementations of max/2 and min/2?  Answer: because the
syntax is excessively complex and hard to think for what is a
logically very simple thing.  We'd end up with people continuing
to write their own max/2 and min/2 simply to avoid the ugly syntax.

> Yes, if there are resources to spend on this issue.

In the erlang:max/2, erlang:min/2 form proposed in the
second draft of the EEP, the hardest part is writing the
documentation, and I've volunteered to do that bit.