[eeps] : Proposal for /\ and \/ operators

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Feb 27 02:09:20 CET 2009

On 26 Feb 2009, at 11:12 pm, Raimo Niskanen wrote:

> Yes I am quite familiar with /\ being AND and \/ being OR.
> That is in the basic math courses at University.
>
> But I can not make the connection /\ being AND being MIN,
> \/ being OR being MAX. To me /\ is simply a top i.e MAX,
> \/ is a bottom i.e MIN.

No, in Boolean algebra you must think of false as being
LESS than true.  The reason that
	x /\ y
acts like "and" is that it gives you the LESSER of x and y;
AND is MIN.
OR  is MAX.

	0 /\ 0 = 0	false & false = false
	0 /\ 1 = 0	false & true  = false
	1 /\ 0 = 0	true  & false = false
	1 /\ 1 = 0	true  & true  = true

In C, operators that return truth values return 0 for false,
1 for true.  In Pascal, ord(false) = 0, ord(true) = 1.  In
Ada, the same as Pascal, modulo syntax.

So your recollection of /\ and \/ should *HELP* you get
min and max straight because and IS min and or IS max.
/\ in logic isn't and never was a max.