[eeps] Proposal for /\ and \/ operators

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Feb 27 01:30:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2009, at 9:34 pm, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>> I have the same feedback. I like the functionality, but /\ and \/ are
>> kinda ugly and very unintuitive.
>
> How can the standard mathematical symbols be "unintuitive"?

It's unintuitive when you're thinking about programming, it's not a
syntax I'm familiar with from anywhere else. When thinking about
mathematics I also typically think in terms of lowercase variables :)
If I saw that operator for the first time I would immediately try and
find documentation on it, which would probably be difficult to search
for given how google works. It's a shame that the grammar prevents
min/max from being used as atoms if it's an operator.

I don't think the unicode characters should be allowed because IIRC
Erlang source is currently defined in terms of latin-1 and that would
just be a mess.

-bob