[eeps] : Proposal for /\ and \/ operators

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Thu Feb 26 16:57:07 CET 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:

> > Yes I am quite familiar with /\ being AND and \/ being OR.
> > That is in the basic math courses at University.
>

> I meant, it's common to use these symbols for min and max,
> like they are used in boolean algebra.
>
> In an algebra on the values true and false, where true and false are
> ordered,
> with false < true, the operation OR is the same as MAX and AND is the same
> as MIN.
>
> (Think false = 0, true = 1, and all will snap in place :)

I do not think that this is intuitive for the average Erlang programmer.

Do we really need to clutter the language with more operators in order to
introduce efficient support for min and max?

Why does it not suffice to make the implementation of lists:min/1 and
lists:max/1 more efficient as Richard C suggested?

/Håkan
---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB