[eeps] Multi-Parameter Typechecking BIFs

mats cronqvist masse@REDACTED
Mon Feb 23 10:59:02 CET 2009

"Richard O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED> writes:

> On 20 Feb 2009, at 8:55 pm, mats cronqvist wrote:
>>  I think I see what you're saying. Alas, your conclusion seems
>>  backwards.
>
> Obviously I don't think so.
>>

>>> Take again the very common case of "this argument is an
>>> {M,F,A} triple".
>>>
>>> Right now, people write out, every time,
>>>
>>> 	f(...{M,F,A}...)
>>> 	when is_atom(M), is_atom(F), is_integer(A), A >= 0
>>> 	-> ...
>>>
>>> Writing this as
>>>
>>> 	f(...{M::atom,F::atom,A::integer}...)
>>> 	when A >= 0
>>> 	-> ...
>>>
>>> (A) Makes it much much harder to *see* the triple.
>>
>>  Marginally harder, I'd say. And with syntax haglighting on it would
>>  be a non-issue.
>
> "Oops there is a problem here,
>  so let us imagine that it has been solved."

  you're a very weird guy. (that's a compliment.)

>>  But the problem with the current when syntax is exactly that; that
>>  you have to split all the conditions in pieces (the first condition
>>  being where in the argument the variable is bound.)
>
> Not quite.  The current syntax does force you to separate
> the *pattern match* from the *conditions*, but at least it
> lets you write the *conditions* as one thing.  Putting ::test
> in a pattern breaks what's logically one condition into lots
> of little apparently unrelated pieces.

  Separating the pattern match from the condition is bad. The 'when'
  keyword should have never been introduced.

>>> (C) Kicks abstraction in the teeth, beats it in the head with
>>>    an iron bar, and steals its notecase.

  you're a very weird guy.

>>>  Where does it say {M,F,A}::names_a_function?

  Mmmm... nowhere?

>>>  This is a very very low level way of describing what you want.

  If you say so.

[much verbiage about]
> 	-define(date(D,M,Y),
> 	    is_integer(D), 1 =< D, D =< 31,
> 	    is_integer(M), 1 =< M, M =< 12,
> 	    is_integer(Y), 1900 =< Y, Y =< 2200).

[being better than]
> 	f(..., {D::integer,M::integer,Y::integer}, ...) -> ...

  Meh. This discussion is about
f(..., {D::integer,M::integer,Y::integer}, ...) -> ...

  vs.
f(..., {D,M,Y}, ...)
 when is_integer(D),is_integer(M),s_integer(Y) -> ...

>>> What we want, of course, is to say that the *whole* triple
>>> satisfies a named condition.  And we can do that, right now,
>>> with macros.

  Macros. Wonderful. Actually, there is a way to declare types;
-type(date() :: {integer(),integer(),integer()}).

>>  But then I have to go looking in a header file somewhere to find the
>> -define(mod_func_arity,...).
>>  Yuck.
>
> Yes you do.  But at least it is there to be found.
> (Most modern text editors support some kind of tags facility,

  but not syntax haghlighting?

> which means that "to go looking" means the enormous burden of
> putting the cursor on the macro call and pressing perhaps as
> many as two keys.  As it happens, the text editor I use doesn't
> support tags, so I'd have to type
> 	<ESC>! find-macro mod_func_arity<ESC>
> Big deal.)

  That's fascinating.

>>> Guards are good.  I have had the misfortunate to have to read
>>> "Prolog" code written in a dialect that allowed type tests in
>>> patterns.  Never again.
>>
>>  Type checking in guards sucks. It splits the match condition into
>>  pieces, makes it prone to stupid typo errors, and, worst of all,
>>  presents a barrier to type checking that is high enough to make
>>  people just skip it altogether.
>
> I don't understand why you say "prone to .. typo errors".
> Why is putting type tests in guards any more error-prone than
> putting them into patterns?
  because real code (here defined as written by professional
  programmers (i.e. people that program from 9 to 5) as opposed to CS
  professors) looks like this;

bla(FooBlaBaxBar, FooFooBlaBaxBar, LaDiDaBaxBar, FooFooBlaBazBar,
    BlaBlaaBarBar, FooFooBlaBurpBar) ->
  when is_integer(FooFooBlaBaxBar), is_atom(FooFooBlaBazBar) ->

> Oddly enough, I would regard type tests in patterns as creating a
> barrier to type checking that would make people skip it altogether.

   That is indeed very odd. Almost weird.