[eeps] Multi-Parameter Typechecking BIFs

mats cronqvist masse@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 13:58:35 CET 2009

Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> writes:

> "mats cronqvist" <masse@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> the problem I have with this proposal is that it
>> does not address what, IMO, is the fundamental problem;
>> that I have to correlate the X at the beginning of
>> the line with the X at the end of the line.
>>
>>   I think something like this would be much better:
>>
>> func({_,X::float,_,Z::float}, [{_,Y::float,A::float} | _]) ->...
>>
>>   This has been proposed before, and rejected for no
>> good reason (that I can remember).
>
> Still, don't you think that these suggestions could be
> complementary?

  Isn't "complementary" a weasel word for "bloat"? :>

  With inline (type) guards there would be no rationale for James'
  EEP.

> Inline guards are not intended to replace the standard guard syntax,

  Type checking in standard guard syntax would be obsolete, and could
  (should, in the long run) be removed.

> and Vlad's suggestion improves on standard guards with no obvious
> disadvantages.

  Except bloat.

  mats