[eeps] Requests for comment on EEP 26 "Make andalso and orelse tail-recursive"

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Fri Feb 6 22:58:47 CET 2009

Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:
> We would like you to submit comments on EEP 26 "Make andalso and
> orelse tail-recursive"
> to the eeps@REDACTED mailing list.
>
> The EEP can be found here: http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0026.html
>
> The deadline is February 8, 2009. After that, we will make our
> decision and if the
> EEP is approved the implementation will be included in R13A.

Well, since I tried my best (but failed) to convince OTP to make
andalso/orelse tail recursive when they were originally added, I
certainly won't protest now.

Also, since someone demonstrated the ultimate ugly workaround to
allow abuse of even the current strictly checking versions,

    Debug andalso begin io:format("...", [...]), true end

I don't see that there can be any good reason not to make these
operators tail recursive, as they should have been from start.

    /Richard

--
 "Having users is like optimization: the wise course is to delay it."
   -- Paul Graham